Vol. 151 No. 5152 (2021)
Is laparoscopic major hepatectomy feasible and safe in Swiss cantonal hospitals?
- Franziska Heid
- Johannes Toti
- Ruben C. Balzarotti Canger
- Alessandra Cristaudi
- Stefan Breitenstein
- Pietro Majno-Hurst
- Erik Schadde
BACKGROUND: The number of laparoscopic liver resections is increasing worldwide, including in Switzerland. However, laparoscopy is mostly used for minor resections. Little is known about indications for and outcomes of major liver resections performed laparoscopically. The aim of this study was to compare the clinical outcome of open and laparoscopic major liver resection cohorts in two Swiss centres.
METHODS: Patients undergoing open or laparoscopic major hepatectomy (>3 segments) in two cantonal hospitals from January 2015 to December 2019 were analysed. All disease types except perihilar cholangiocarcinomas, rare malignancies and resections with biliary reconstruction were included. The primary outcome was the number of complications incurred. Operation time, blood loss, hospital stay and 90-day mortality were secondary outcomes investigated. A separate analysis was performed for colorectal liver metastases, the most common indication. Potential risk factors for major complications were evaluated in a multivariate analysis.
RESULTS: A total of 88 patients were identified. Among those, 34 patients underwent laparoscopic major hepatectomy (LAPH) and 54 patients open major hepatectomy (OH). The two groups did not differ in demographics. The most common indication was malignancy (LAPH 94% vs OH 98%), mainly colorectal liver metastases (LAPH 53% vs OH 59%). There was no significant difference in major complications (21% vs 15%, p = 0.565). Median operation time (LAPH 433 minutes, interquartile range [IQR 351–482 vs OH 397 minutes, IQR 296–446; p = 0.222), blood loss (325 ml, IQR 200–575 vs 475 ml, IQR 300–800; p = 0.150) and hospital stay (9 days, IQR 8–14 vs 11 days, IQR 9–14; p = 0.441) were comparable between the two cohorts. There was no significant difference in 90-day mortality (3% vs 7%, p = 0.881). The laparoscopic technique was not identified as a risk factor for major complications in a multivariate analysis.
CONCLUSION: This first report from Switzerland evaluating outcomes of laparoscopic major hepatectomies showed no difference in complications and clinical non-inferiority compared with open major hepatectomy.
- Reich H, McGlynn F, DeCaprio J, Budin R. Laparoscopic excision of benign liver lesions. Obstet Gynecol. 1991 Nov;78(5 Pt 2):956–8.
- Ikeda T, Mano Y, Morita K, Hashimoto N, Kayashima H, Masuda A, et al. Pure laparoscopic hepatectomy in semiprone position for right hepatic major resection. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013 Feb;20(2):145–50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-012-0558-y
- Wakabayashi G, Cherqui D, Geller DA, Buell JF, Kaneko H, Han HS, et al. Recommendations for laparoscopic liver resection: a report from the second international consensus conference held in Morioka. Ann Surg. 2015 Apr;261(4):619–29.
- Sasaki A, Nitta H, Otsuka K, Takahara T, Nishizuka S, Wakabayashi G. Ten-year experience of totally laparoscopic liver resection in a single institution. Br J Surg. 2009 Mar;96(3):274–9. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.6472
- Cherqui D, Husson E, Hammoud R, Malassagne B, Stéphan F, Bensaid S, et al. Laparoscopic liver resections: a feasibility study in 30 patients. Ann Surg. 2000 Dec;232(6):753–62. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200012000-00004
- Mbah NA, Brown RE, Bower MR, Scoggins CR, McMasters KM, Martin RC. Differences between bipolar compression and ultrasonic devices for parenchymal transection during laparoscopic liver resection. HPB (Oxford). 2012 Feb;14(2):126–31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-2574.2011.00414.x
- Buell JF, Cherqui D, Geller DA, O’Rourke N, Iannitti D, Dagher I, et al.; World Consensus Conference on Laparoscopic Surgery. The international position on laparoscopic liver surgery: the Louisville Statement, 2008. Ann Surg. 2009 Nov;250(5):825–30. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181b3b2d8
- Fretland AA, Dagenborg VJ, Bjørnelv GM, Kazaryan AM, Kristiansen R, Fagerland MW, et al. Laparoscopic Versus Open Resection for Colorectal Liver Metastases: The OSLO-COMET Randomized Controlled Trial. Ann Surg. 2018 Feb;267(2):199–207. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002353
- Akyuz M, Yazici P, Yigitbas H, Dural C, Okoh A, Aliyev S, et al. Oncologic results of laparoscopic liver resection for malignant liver tumors. J Surg Oncol. 2016 Feb;113(2):127–9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.24119
- Andreou A, Struecker B, Raschzok N, Krenzien F, Haber P, Wabitsch S, et al. Minimal-invasive versus open hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of postoperative outcomes and long-term survivals using propensity score matching analysis. Surg Oncol. 2018 Dec;27(4):751–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suronc.2018.10.005
- Castaing D, Vibert E, Ricca L, Azoulay D, Adam R, Gayet B. Oncologic results of laparoscopic versus open hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases in two specialized centers. Ann Surg. 2009 Nov;250(5):849–55. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181bcaf63
- Xu H, Liu F, Li H, Wei Y, Li B. Outcomes following laparoscopic versus open major hepatectomy: a meta-analysis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2017 Dec;52(12):1307–14. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365521.2017.1373846
- Landi F, De’ Angelis N, Scatton O, Vidal X, Ayav A, Muscari F, et al. Short-term outcomes of laparoscopic vs. open liver resection for hepatocellular adenoma: a multicenter propensity score adjustment analysis by the AFC-HCA-2013 study group. Surg Endosc. 2017 Oct;31(10):4136–44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-017-5466-4
- Labgaa I, Jarrar G, Joliat GR, Allemann P, Gander S, Blanc C, et al. Implementation of Enhanced Recovery (ERAS) in Colorectal Surgery Has a Positive Impact on Non-ERAS Liver Surgery Patients. World J Surg. 2016 May;40(5):1082–91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-015-3363-3
- von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, Pocock SJ, Gøtzsche PC, Vandenbroucke JP ; STROBE Initiative. The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Int J Surg. 2014 Dec;12(12):1495–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2014.07.013
- Reddy SK, Barbas AS, Turley RS, Steel JL, Tsung A, Marsh JW, et al. A standard definition of major hepatectomy: resection of four or more liver segments. HPB (Oxford). 2011 Jul;13(7):494–502. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-2574.2011.00330.x
- Rahbari NN, Garden OJ, Padbury R, Brooke-Smith M, Crawford M, Adam R, et al. Posthepatectomy liver failure: a definition and grading by the International Study Group of Liver Surgery (ISGLS). Surgery. 2011 May;149(5):713–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2010.10.001
- Koch M, Garden OJ, Padbury R, Rahbari NN, Adam R, Capussotti L, et al. Bile leakage after hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery: a definition and grading of severity by the International Study Group of Liver Surgery. Surgery. 2011 May;149(5):680–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2010.12.002
- Fong Y, Fortner J, Sun RL, Brennan MF, Blumgart LH. Clinical score for predicting recurrence after hepatic resection for metastatic colorectal cancer: analysis of 1001 consecutive cases. Ann Surg. 1999 Sep;230(3):309–18. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199909000-00004
- Melloul E, Hübner M, Scott M, Snowden C, Prentis J, Dejong CH, et al. Guidelines for Perioperative Care for Liver Surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society Recommendations. World J Surg. 2016 Oct;40(10):2425–40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-016-3700-1
- Rubbia-Brandt L, Giostra E, Brezault C, Roth AD, Andres A, Audard V, et al. Importance of histological tumor response assessment in predicting the outcome in patients with colorectal liver metastases treated with neo-adjuvant chemotherapy followed by liver surgery. Ann Oncol. 2007 Feb;18(2):299–304. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl386
- Mentha G, Roth AD, Terraz S, Giostra E, Gervaz P, Andres A, et al. ‘Liver first’ approach in the treatment of colorectal cancer with synchronous liver metastases. Dig Surg. 2008;25(6):430–5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000184734
- Schadde E, Ardiles V, Slankamenac K, Tschuor C, Sergeant G, Amacker N, et al. ALPPS offers a better chance of complete resection in patients with primarily unresectable liver tumors compared with conventional-staged hepatectomies: results of a multicenter analysis. World J Surg. 2014 Jun;38(6):1510–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-014-2513-3
- Prevost GA, et al. Efficiency, Accuracy and Clinical Applicability of a New Image- Guided Surgery System in 3D Laparoscopic Liver Surgery. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-019-04395-7
- Farges O, Goutte N, Dokmak S, Bendersky N, Falissard B ; ACHBT French Hepatectomy Study Group. How surgical technology translates into practice: the model of laparoscopic liver resections performed in France. Ann Surg. 2014 Nov;260(5):916–21. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000950
- Cai X, Li Z, Zhang Y, Yu H, Liang X, Jin R, et al. Laparoscopic liver resection and the learning curve: a 14-year, single-center experience. Surg Endosc. 2014 Apr;28(4):1334–41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-013-3333-5
- Brown KM, Geller DA. What is the Learning Curve for Laparoscopic Major Hepatectomy? J Gastrointest Surg. 2016 May;20(5):1065–71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-016-3100-8
- Komatsu S, Scatton O, Goumard C, Sepulveda A, Brustia R, Perdigao F, et al. Development Process and Technical Aspects of Laparoscopic Hepatectomy: Learning Curve Based on 15 Years of Experience. J Am Coll Surg. 2017 May;224(5):841–50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2016.12.037
- Tomassini F, Scuderi V, Colman R, Vivarelli M, Montalti R, Troisi RI. The single surgeon learning curve of laparoscopic liver resection: A continuous evolving process through stepwise difficulties. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Oct;95(43):e5138. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000005138
- Dagher I, Di Giuro G, Dubrez J, Lainas P, Smadja C, Franco D. Laparoscopic versus open right hepatectomy: a comparative study. Am J Surg. 2009 Aug;198(2):173–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.09.015
- Abu Hilal M, Di Fabio F, Teng MJ, Lykoudis P, Primrose JN, Pearce NW. Single-centre comparative study of laparoscopic versus open right hepatectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 May;15(5):818–23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-011-1468-z
- Topal H, Tiek J, Aerts R, Topal B. Outcome of laparoscopic major liver resection for colorectal metastases. Surg Endosc. 2012 Sep;26(9):2451–5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-012-2209-4
- Yoon SY, Kim KH, Jung DH, Yu A, Lee SG. Oncological and surgical results of laparoscopic versus open liver resection for HCC less than 5 cm: case-matched analysis. Surg Endosc. 2015 Sep;29(9):2628–34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-014-3980-1