Ovarian cancer in Switzerland: incidence and treatment according to hospital registry data
The methods used to diagnose and classify ovarian cancer have changed over the past decade. We used hospital registry data to assess the incidence, treatment durations and hospital costs of ovarian cancer in Switzerland.
We carried out a retrospective analysis of a hospital registry covering all inpatient care episodes in Switzerland between 1998 and 2012. Ovarian cancer incidence was assessed by identifying patients with a first ovarian cancer diagnosis as the main reason for hospital stay after an event-free period. We assessed the duration and cost of ovarian cancer treatment sequences as well as the evolution of hospital patient volume over time.
The average age-adjusted incidence rate was 14.6 per 100,000 women per year between 2004 and 2012. This rate is substantially higher (+35.5%) than the corresponding rate published by the National Institute for Cancer Epidemiology and Registration (NICER). Hospital patient volume was low in most cases, with more than 40% of patients treated in hospitals with fewer than 20 cases per year. However, the share of patients treated in hospitals with more than 30 cases per year has increased substantially since 2009.
We found a substantial difference between the ovarian cancer incidence estimate based on hospital registry data and the corresponding estimate by NICER. The reasons for this substantial difference should be carefully explored. A case-wise comparison could determine whether the difference is due to over- or under-reporting in one of the two registries. The low ovarian cancer patient volume in many hospitals is in conflict with the numbers required for certified specialised cancer centres. The recent increase in patient volume in specialised cancer centres, however, might reflect a growing understanding of the needs and requirements of comprehensive cancer care.
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, Rosso S, Coebergh JWW, Comber H, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49(6):1374–403. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2015. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2015.
- De Pietro C, Camenzind P, Sturny I, Crivelli L, Edwards-Garavoglia S, Spranger A, et al. Switzerland: Health system review. Health Syst Transit. 2015;17(4):1–288, xix.
- OECD. OECD reviews of health systems. Paris: OECD and World Health Organization; 2011.
- Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. Hospital Statistics 2012 (Krankenhausstatistik 2012). Neuchâtel; 2014 https://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/de/home/statistiken/gesundheit/erhebungen/ks.html. Accessed 3 June 2017
- Petignat P, de Weck D, Goffin F, Vlastos G, Obrist R, Luthi JC. Long-term survival of patients with apparent early-stage (FIGO I-II) epithelial ovarian cancer: a population-based study. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2007;63(3):132–6. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1159/000096435
- NICER. Annual incidence rates - National statistics on cancer incidence; 2016 http://www.nicer.org/en/statistics-atlas/cancer-incidence/. Accessed 7 Jan 2016
- Levi F, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C, Ruzicka J, Gloor E, Randimbison L. Epidemiologic pathology of ovarian cancer from the Vaud Cancer Registry, Switzerland. Ann Oncol. 1993;4(4):289–94. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.annonc.a058484
- Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. Medical Statistic of Hospitals - complete dataset (Medizinische Statistik der Krankenhäuser). Neuchâtel. 2011.
- Wieser S, Rüthemann I, De Boni S, Eichler K, Pletscher M, Radovanovic D, et al. Cost of acute coronary syndrome in Switzerland in 2008. Swiss Med Wkly. 2012;142:w13655. doi:.https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2012.13655
- Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. Medizinische Statistik der Krankenhäuser: 2014 – Standardtabellen Neuchâtel; 2015 http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/news/publikationen.Document.197649.pdf. Accessed 6 Jan 2016
- Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. Kodierungshandbuch - Der offizielle Leitfaden der Kodierrichtlinien in der Schweiz - Version 2012. Neuchâtel: Swiss Federal Office of Statistics; 2012.
- Gordis L. Epidemiology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, Elsevier; 2013.
- Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. Schweizerische Operationsklassifikation (CHOP). Swiss Federal Office of Statistics. 2011.
- Gooiker GA, van Gijn W, Post PN, van de Velde CJH, Tollenaar RAEM, Wouters MWJM. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the volume-outcome relationship in the surgical treatment of breast cancer. Are breast cancer patients better of with a high volume provider? Eur J Surg Oncol. 2010;36(Suppl 1):S27–35. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2010.06.024
- EUCAN. Ovarian Cancer - Estimated incidence, mortality & prevalence, 2012; 2012 http://eco.iarc.fr/eucan/CancerOne.aspx?Cancer=27&Gender=2. Accessed 6 Jan 2016