Vol. 143 No. 0102 (2013)
Cohort study on the quality of oral anticoagulation therapy in chronic haemodialysis patients treated with phenprocoumon
- Claudia Praehauser
- Renée Grandjean
- Juerg Steiger
- Michael Mayr
BACKGROUND: Few studies have been published on the control of oral anticoagulation treatment in end stage renal disease (ESRD).
METHODS: To analyse the quality of oral anticoagulation treatment control in ESRD patients treated with phenprocoumon we conducted a cohort study including all patients on chronic haemodialysis at a reference date. Data were collected retrospectively for 12 months and prospectively for 12 months preceding following the reference date. Endpoint was the percentage of INR in target range.
RESULTS: 30 (27%) of 111 patients received oral anticoagulation treatment. The median frequency of INR measurements was every 6.5 days (range 1–16). In median 54% (range 17–74%) and 49% (range 21–65%) of INR measurements were within, 17% (range 0–45%) and 19% (range 4–56%) were above and 27% (range 8–83%) and 33% (range 9–57%) were below the target range in the retrospective and prospective dataset, respectively. The percentage of INR measurements within target range was significantly higher in patients with a target range width of 1.0 than in patients with a target range width of 0.5 (p = 0.04). There was no difference in the number of bleedings or thromboembolic events in patients with and without oral anticoagulation treatment.
CONCLUSION: In our ESRD cohort, the percentage of INR in target range in patients treated with phenprocoumon seems comparable with published data on warfarin and data in non-ESRD populations. However, this finding has to be confirmed in larger studies powered for analysing the factors influencing INR control and the impact of INR control on bleeding and thromboembolic events in ESRD patients treated with phenprocoumon.
- Reynolds MW, Fahrbach K, Hauch O, Wygant G, Estok R, Cella C, et al. Warfarin anticoagulation and outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Chest. 2004;126(6):1938–45.
- Ageno W, Gallus AS, Wittkowsky A, Crowther M, Hylek EM, Palareti G, et al. Oral anticoagulant therapy: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2 Suppl):e44S–88S.
- Kirkwood TB. Calibration of reference thromboplastins and standardisation of the prothrombin time ratio. Thromb Haemost. 1983;49(3):238–44.
- van der Meer FJ, Rosendaal FR, Vandenbroucke JP, Briet E. Bleeding complications in oral anticoagulant therapy. An analysis of risk factors. Arch Intern Med. 1993;153(13):1557–62.
- Guyatt GH, Akl EA, Crowther M, Gutterman DD, Schuunemann HJ, American College of Chest Physicians Antithrombotic T, et al. Executive summary: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2 Suppl):7S–47S.
- Wan Y, Heneghan C, Perera R, Roberts N, Hollowell J, Glasziou P, et al. Anticoagulation control and prediction of adverse events in patients with atrial fibrillation: a systematic review. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2008;1(2):84–91.
- Kaatz S. Determinants and measures of quality in oral anticoagulation therapy. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2008;25(1):61–6.
- Granger CB, Alexander JH, McMurray JJ, Lopes RD, Hylek EM, Hanna M, et al. Apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(11):981–92.
- Patel MR, Mahaffey KW, Garg J, Pan G, Singer DE, Hacke W, et al. Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(10):883–91.
- Lip GY, Rasmussen LH, Olsson SB, Jensen EC, Persson AL, Eriksson U, et al. Oral direct thrombin inhibitor AZD0837 for the prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: a randomized dose-guiding, safety, and tolerability study of four doses of AZD0837 vs. vitamin K antagonists. Eur Heart J. 2009;30(23):2897–907.
- 11 Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, Eikelboom J, Oldgren J, Parekh A, et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(12):1139–51.
- Wallentin L, Yusuf S, Ezekowitz MD, Alings M, Flather M, Franzosi MG, et al. Efficacy and safety of dabigatran compared with warfarin at different levels of international normalised ratio control for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: an analysis of the RE-LY trial. Lancet. 2010;376(9745):975–83.
- Schulman S, Kearon C, Kakkar AK, Mismetti P, Schellong S, Eriksson H, et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(24):2342–52.
- Weitz JI, Connolly SJ, Patel I, Salazar D, Rohatagi S, Mendell J, et al. Randomised, parallel-group, multicentre, multinational phase 2 study comparing edoxaban, an oral factor Xa inhibitor, with warfarin for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation. Thromb Haemost. 2010;104(3):633–41.
- Bauersachs R, Berkowitz SD, Brenner B, Buller HR, Decousus H, Gallus AS, et al. Oral rivaroxaban for symptomatic venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(26):2499–510.
- Wizemann V, Tong L, Satayathum S, Disney A, Akiba T, Fissell RB, et al. Atrial fibrillation in hemodialysis patients: clinical features and associations with anticoagulant therapy. Kidney Int. 2010;77(12):1098–106.
- Winkelmayer WC, Patrick AR, Liu J, Brookhart MA, Setoguchi S. The increasing prevalence of atrial fibrillation among hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22(2):349–57.
- Vazquez E, Sanchez-Perales C, Garcia-Garcia F, Castellano P, Garcia-Cortes MJ, Liebana A, et al. Atrial fibrillation in incident dialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2009;76(3):324–30.
- Vazquez E, Sanchez-Perales C, Lozano C, Garcia-Cortes MJ, Borrego F, Guzman M, et al. Comparison of prognostic value of atrial fibrillation versus sinus rhythm in patients on long-term hemodialysis. Am J Cardiol. 2003;92(7):868–71.
- Vazquez E, Sanchez-Perales C, Garcia-Cortes MJ, Borrego F, Lozano C, Guzman M, et al. Ought dialysis patients with atrial fibrillation be treated with oral anticoagulants? Int J Cardiol. 2003;87(2-3):135–9; discussion 39–41.
- To AC, Yehia M, Collins JF. Atrial fibrillation in haemodialysis patients: do the guidelines for anticoagulation apply? Nephrology. (Carlton) 2007;12(5):441–7.
- Genovesi S, Pogliani D, Faini A, Valsecchi MG, Riva A, Stefani F, et al. Prevalence of atrial fibrillation and associated factors in a population of long-term hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;46(5):897–902.
- Go AS, Hylek EM, Phillips KA, Chang Y, Henault LE, Selby JV, et al. Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) Study. JAMA. 2001;285(18):2370–5.
- Coli L, Donati G, Cianciolo G, Raimondi C, Comai G, Panicali L, et al. Anticoagulation therapy for the prevention of hemodialysis tunneled cuffed catheters (TCC) thrombosis. J Vasc Access. 2006;7(3):118–22.
- Zellweger M, Bouchard J, Raymond-Carrier S, Laforest-Renald A, Querin S, Madore F. Systemic anticoagulation and prevention of hemodialysis catheter malfunction. ASAIO J. 2005;51(4):360–5.
- Obialo CI, Conner AC, Lebon LF. Maintaining patency of tunneled hemodialysis catheters – efficacy of aspirin compared to warfarin. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2003;37(2):172–6.
- LeSar CJ, Merrick HW, Smith MR. Thrombotic complications resulting from hypercoagulable states in chronic hemodialysis vascular access. J Am Coll Surg. 1999;189(1):73–9; discussion 79–81.
- Limdi NA, Beasley TM, Baird MF, Goldstein JA, McGwin G, Arnett DK, et al. Kidney function influences warfarin responsiveness and hemorrhagic complications. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(4):912–21.
- Gompou A, Griveas I, Kyritsis I, Agroyannis I, Tsakoniatis M, Agroyannis B. INR deviations in hemodialyzed patients under low dose oral anticoagulant therapy. Int J Artif Organs. 2009;32(10):752–5.
- American Diabetes A. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2008;31(Suppl 1):S55–60.
- Buller HR, Agnelli G, Hull RD, Hyers TM, Prins MH, Raskob GE. Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004;126(3 Suppl):401S–28S.
- Singer DE, Albers GW, Dalen JE, Go AS, Halperin JL, Manning WJ. Antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004;126(3 Suppl):429S–56S.
- Salem DN, Stein PD, Al-Ahmad A, Bussey HI, Horstkotte D, Miller N, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in valvular heart disease – native and prosthetic: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004;126(3 Suppl):457S–82S.
- Breidthardt T, Moser-Bucher CN, Praehauser C, Garzoni D, Bachler K, Steiger J, et al. Morbidity and mortality on chronic haemodialysis: A 10-year Swiss single centre analysis. Swiss Med Wkly. 2011;141:w13150.
- Holmes MV, Hunt BJ, Shearer MJ. The role of dietary vitamin K in the management of oral vitamin K antagonists. Blood reviews. 2012;26(1):1–14.
- Gage BF, Waterman AD, Shannon W, Boechler M, Rich MW, Radford MJ. Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of Atrial Fibrillation. JAMA. 2001;285(22):2864–70.
- Schmitt L, Speckman J, Ansell J. Quality assessment of anticoagulation dose management: comparative evaluation of measures of time-in-therapeutic range. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2003;15(3):213–6.
- Rombouts EK, Rosendaal FR, van der Meer FJ. Subtherapeutic oral anticoagulant therapy: frequency and risk factors. Thromb Haemost. 2009;101(3):552–6.
- Jensen CF, Christensen TD, Maegaard M, Hasenkam JM. Quality of oral anticoagulant therapy in patients who perform self management: warfarin versus phenprocoumon. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2009;28(3):276–81.
- Leiria TL, Pellanda L, Miglioranza MH, Sant’anna RT, Becker LS, Magalhaes E, et al. Warfarin and phenprocoumon: experience of an outpatient anticoagulation clinic. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2010;94(1):41–5.
- Wieloch M, Sjalander A, Frykman V, Rosenqvist M, Eriksson N, Svensson PJ. Anticoagulation control in Sweden: reports of time in therapeutic range, major bleeding, and thrombo-embolic complications from the national quality registry AuriculA. Eur Heart J. 2011;32(18):2282–9.
- Connolly SJ, Pogue J, Eikelboom J, Flaker G, Commerford P, Franzosi MG, et al. Benefit of oral anticoagulant over antiplatelet therapy in atrial fibrillation depends on the quality of international normalized ratio control achieved by centers and countries as measured by time in therapeutic range. Circulation. 2008;118(20):2029–37.
- Biggers JA, Remmers AR, Jr., Glassford DM, Sarles HE, Lindley JD, Fish JC. The risk of anticoagulation in hemodialysis patients. Nephron. 1977;18(2):109–13.
- Wiesholzer M, Harm F, Tomasec G, Barbieri G, Putz D, Balcke P. Incidence of stroke among chronic hemodialysis patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Am J Nephrol. 2001;21(1):35–9.
- Chan KE, Lazarus JM, Thadhani R, Hakim RM. Warfarin use associates with increased risk for stroke in hemodialysis patients with atrial fibrillation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(10):2223–33.
- Mant J, Hobbs FD, Fletcher K, Roalfe A, Fitzmaurice D, Lip GY, et al. Warfarin versus aspirin for stroke prevention in an elderly community population with atrial fibrillation (the Birmingham Atrial Fibrillation Treatment of the Aged Study, BAFTA): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007;370(9586):493–503.
- Rash A, Downes T, Portner R, Yeo WW, Morgan N, Channer KS. A randomised controlled trial of warfarin versus aspirin for stroke prevention in octogenarians with atrial fibrillation (WASPO). Age Ageing. 2007;36(2):151–6.
- Luxembourg B, Schneider K, Sittinger K, Toennes SW, Seifried E, Lindhoff-Last E, et al. Impact of pharmacokinetic (CYP2C9) and pharmacodynamic (VKORC1, F7, GGCX, CALU, EPHX1) gene variants on the initiation and maintenance phases of phenprocoumon therapy. Thromb Haemost.2011;105(1):169–80.
- Werner D, Werner U, Wuerfel A, Grosch A, Lestin HG, Eschenhagen T, et al. Pharmacogenetic characteristics of patients with complicated phenprocoumon dosing. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2009;65(8):783–8.
- Beinema M, Brouwers JR, Schalekamp T, Wilffert B. Pharmacogenetic differences between warfarin, acenocoumarol and phenprocoumon. Thromb Haemost. 2008;100(6):1052–7.
- Franco V, Polanczyk CA, Clausell N, Rohde LE. Role of dietary vitamin K intake in chronic oral anticoagulation: prospective evidence from observational and randomized protocols. Am J Med. 2004;116(10):651–6.
- Ezekowitz MD, Connolly S, Parekh A, Reilly PA, Varrone J, Wang S, et al. Rationale and design of RE-LY: randomized evaluation of long-term anticoagulant therapy, warfarin, compared with dabigatran. Am Heart J. 2009;157(5):805–10, 10 e1–2.