Do Swiss urologists and Swiss internists screen themselves and their relatives for prostate cancer? A questionnaire study
PURPOSE: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening for men at risk of prostate cancer is controversial. The current recommendation is to raise awareness of prostate cancer and offer PSA screening in accordance with shared decision- making. Whether the possibility of a PSA screen is discussed with the patient depends on the treating physician, but data on physicians’ attitudes towards PSA screening are scarce. This study aimed to examine internists’ and urologists’ personal PSA screening activity as an indicator of their attitude towards PSA screening.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Members of the Swiss Society of Urology and the Swiss Society of General Internal Medicine were asked in 08/2020 to anonymously complete an online survey about personal PSA screening behaviour for themselves, their fathers, brothers and partners. Categorical and continuous variables were compared by chi-squared tests and t-tests, respectively.
RESULTS: In total, 190/295 (response rate: 64%) urologists and 893/7400 (response rate: 12%) internists participated in the survey. Of the participants, 297/1083 (27.4%) were female. Male urologists >50 years of age screened themselves more often than male internists >50 years of age (89% vs 70%, p <0.05). Furthermore, urologists reported recommending screening statistically significantly more often than internists to their brother, father or partner regardless of their sex (men: 38.1% vs 18.5%; p <0.05; women: 81.8% vs 32.2%; p <0.05).
CONCLUSIONS: Most participating male physicians >50 years of age have screened themselves for prostate cancer. Furthermore, PSA screening of relatives was significantly associated with the urology specialty. The reasons physicians screen themselves substantially more often than the public and why male and female urologists as well as male internists perform PSA screening more frequently in their private environment than female internists should be further examined.
- Andriole GL, Crawford ED, Grubb RL 3rd, Buys SS, Chia D, Church TR, et al.; PLCO Project Team. Mortality results from a randomized prostate-cancer screening trial. N Engl J Med. 2009 Mar;360(13):1310–9. 10.1056/nejmoa0810696 10.1056/NEJMoa0810696
- Cancer P, Services USP, Force T. PreventiveServicesTaskForce. Screeningforprostatecancer:U.S.Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement 2012;157.
- Schröder FH, Hugosson J, Roobol MJ, Tammela TL, Zappa M, Nelen V, et al.; ERSPC Investigators. Screening and prostate cancer mortality: results of the European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer (ERSPC) at 13 years of follow-up. Lancet. 2014 Dec;384(9959):2027–35. 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60525-0
- Mottet N, Cornford P, van den Bergh RC, Briers E, De Santis M, Gillessen S, et al. EAU-EANM-ESTRO-ESUR-ISUP_SIOG Guidelines on Prostate Cancer 2022. Eur Urol. 2022.
- Carter HB, Albertsen PC, Barry MJ, Etzioni R, Freedland SJ, Greene KL, et al. Early detection of prostate cancer: AUA Guideline. J Urol. 2013 Aug;190(2):419–26. 10.1016/j.juro.2013.04.119
- Selby K, Cornuz J, Neuner-Jehle S, Perrier A, Zeller A, Meier CA. N. Rodondi JMG. «Smarter Medicine»: 5 Interventionen, die in der ambulanten allgemeinen inneren Medizin vermieden werden sollten. Schweiz Arzteztg. 2013;769–70: 10.4414/saez.2014.02646
- European Comission. Proposal for a COUNCIL RECOMMENDATION on strengthening prevention through early detection: A new EU approach on cancer screening replacing Council Recommendation 2003/878/EC. Brussels: 2022.
- Grossman DC, Curry SJ, Owens DK, Bibbins-Domingo K, Caughey AB, Davidson KW, et al.; US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for prostate cancer USPreventive servicestaskforcerecommendation statement. JAMA. 2018 May;319(18):1901–13. 10.1001/jama.2018.3710
- Ulyte A, Wei W, Dressel H, Gruebner O, von Wyl V, Bähler C, et al. Variation of colorectal, breast and prostate cancer screening activity in Switzerland: influence of insurance, policy and guidelines. PLoS One. 2020 Apr;15(4):e0231409. 10.1371/journal.pone.0231409
- Guessous I, Cullati S, Fedewa SA, Burton-Jeangros C, Courvoisier DS, Manor O, et al. Prostate cancer screening in Switzerland: 20-year trends and socioeconomic disparities. Prev Med. 2016 Jan;82:83–91. 10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.11.009
- BFS Bundesamt für Statistik Eidgenössisches Departement für auswärtige Angelegenheiten EDA. Die häufigsten Hauptsprachen der ständigen Wohnbevölkerung 2023.
- Lardas M, Liew M, van den Bergh RC, De Santis M, Bellmunt J, Van den Broeck T, et al. Quality of Life Outcomes after Primary Treatment for Clinically Localised Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review. Eur Urol. 2017 Dec;72(6):869–85. 10.1016/j.eururo.2017.06.035
- Ilic D, Djulbegovic M, Jung JH, Hwang EC, Zhou Q, Cleves A, et al. Prostate cancer screening with prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2018 Sep;362:k3519. 10.1136/bmj.k3519
- Tang K, Jiang K, Chen H, Chen Z, Xu H, Ye Z. Robotic vs. Retropubic radical prostatectomy in prostate cancer: A systematic review and an meta-analysis update. Oncotarget. 2017 May;8(19):32237–57. 10.18632/oncotarget.13332
- Matta R, Chapple CR, Fisch M, Heidenreich A, Herschorn S, Kodama RT, et al. Pelvic Complications After Prostate Cancer Radiation Therapy and Their Management: An International Collaborative Narrative Review. Eur Urol. 2019 Mar;75(3):464–76. 10.1016/j.eururo.2018.12.003
- Penson DF. Quality of Life Outcomes Following Treatment for Localized Prostate Cancer: What’s New and What’s Not. Eur Urol. 2017 Dec;72(6):886–7. 10.1016/j.eururo.2017.07.010
- Pucheril D, Dalela D, Sammon J, Sood A, Sun M, Trinh QD, et al. The influence of physician recommendation on prostate-specific antigen screening. Urol Oncol. 2015 Oct;33(10):424.e1–7. 10.1016/j.urolonc.2015.06.013
- Litwin MS, Tan HJ. The diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer: A review. JAMA. 2017 Jun;317(24):2532–42. 10.1001/jama.2017.7248
- Shoag JE, Nyame YA, Gulati R, Etzioni R, Hu JC. Reconsidering the Trade-offs of Prostate Cancer Screening. N Engl J Med. 2020 Jun;382(25):2465–8. 10.1056/NEJMsb2000250
- Gandaglia G, Albers P, Abrahamsson PA, Briganti A, Catto JW, Chapple CR, et al. Structured Population-based Prostate-specific Antigen Screening for Prostate Cancer: The European Association of Urology Position in 2019. Eur Urol. 2019 Aug;76(2):142–50. 10.1016/j.eururo.2019.04.033
- Fenton JJ, Weyrich MS, Durbin S, Liu Y, Bang H, Melnikow J. Prostate-specific antigen-based screening for prostate cancer evidence report and systematic review for the us preventive services task force. JAMA. 2018 May;319(18):1914–31. 10.1001/jama.2018.3712
- Wallis C, Cheung D, Klotz L, Chalasani V, Leao R, Garisto J, et al. Personal prostate-specific antigen screening and treatment choices for localized prostate cancer among expert physicians. Can Urol Assoc J. 2018 Feb;12(2):E59–63. 10.5489/cuaj.4736
- Kappen S, Jürgens V, Freitag MH, Winter A. Attitudes Toward and Use of Prostate-Specific Antigen Testing Among Urologists and General Practitioners in Germany: A Survey. Front Oncol. 2021 Jun;11:691197. 10.3389/fonc.2021.691197
- Seely JM, Alhassan T. Screening for breast cancer in 2018-what should we be doing today? Curr Oncol. 2018 Jun;25(11 Suppl 1):S115–24. 10.3747/co.25.3770
- NSK-Umsetzungsplan Projekte und Aktivitäten 2018 – 2020 2020:1–6.
- Dahrouge S, Seale E, Hogg W, Russell G, Younger J, Muggah E, et al. A Comprehensive Assessment of Family Physician Gender and Quality of Care: A Cross-Sectional Analysis in Ontario, Canada. Med Care. 2016 Mar;54(3):277–86. 10.1097/mlr.0000000000000480 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000480
- Engler J, Dahlhaus A, Güthlin C. The readiness of German GPs to recommend and conduct cancer screening is associated with patient-physician gender concordance. Results of a survey. Eur J Gen Pract. 2017 Dec;23(1):11–9. 10.1080/13814788.2016.1240166
- Jansson KF, Akre O, Garmo H, Bill-Axelson A, Adolfsson J, Stattin P, et al. Concordance of tumor differentiation among brothers with prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2012 Oct;62(4):656–61. 10.1016/j.eururo.2012.02.032
- Hemminki K. Familial risk and familial survival in prostate cancer. World J Urol. 2012 Apr;30(2):143–8. 10.1007/s00345-011-0801-1
- Aslani A, Minnillo BJ, Johnson B, Cherullo EE, Ponsky LE, Abouassaly R. The impact of recent screening recommendations on prostate cancer screening in a large health care system. J Urol. 2014 Jun;191(6):1737–42. 10.1016/j.juro.2013.12.010
- Kim SP, Karnes RJ, Nguyen PL, Ziegenfuss JY, Thompson RH, Han LC, et al. A national survey of radiation oncologists and urologists on recommendations of prostate-specific antigen screening for prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2014 May;113 5b:E106–11. 10.1111/bju.12422