Early advance care planning in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients: results of a systematic intervention by a palliative care team in a multidisciplinary management programme – a 4-year cohort study
Although recommended, the implementation of early advance care planning is suboptimal in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients. Barriers to advance care planning include healthcare professionals’ and patients’ reluctance, and uncertainty about the right time to initiate a discussion.
AIM OF THE STUDY
To determine how often advance care planning was initiated, and the content of the discussion in a first routine palliative care consultation integrated within a multidisciplinary management programme.
Between June 2012 and September 2016, a prospective cohort study was conducted in Geneva University Hospitals. Sixty-eight patients were seen every 3 months for a 1-day clinical evaluation in a day care centre.
The patients’ mean ± standard deviation age was 68.6 ± 11.9 years, 50% were women. Four patients were excluded because of dementia. Advance care planning was initiated with 49 (77%) patients in the first palliative care consultation. Interventions most often addressed were cardiopulmonary resuscitation (49%), intubation and tracheostomy (47%) and palliative sedation (36.7%). Assisted suicide was discussed with 16 patients (36.6%). Functional disability was the only factor associated with initiation of advance care planning. Nearly half of the patients wrote advance directives (45%) or designated a healthcare surrogate (41%). Bulbar onset, functional disability and noninvasive ventilation were not associated with the completion of advance directives.
Early initiation of advance care planning is feasible in most ALS patients during a routine consultation, and relevant treatment issues can be discussed. All ALS patients should be offered the opportunity to write advance directives as completion was not associated with disease severity. (Registered at clinicaltrials.gov: No. NCT03536962.)
- Sudore RL, Lum HD, You JJ, Hanson LC, Meier DE, Pantilat SZ, et al. Defining Advance Care Planning for Adults: A Consensus Definition From a Multidisciplinary Delphi Panel. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017;53(5):821–832.e1. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2016.12.331
- Rietjens JAC, Sudore RL, Connolly M, van Delden JJ, Drickamer MA, Droger M, et al.; European Association for Palliative Care. Definition and recommendations for advance care planning: an international consensus supported by the European Association for Palliative Care. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18(9):e543–51. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30582-X
- Borasio GD, Shaw PJ, Hardiman O, Ludolph AC, Sales Luis ML, Silani V ; European ALS Study Group. Standards of palliative care for patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: results of a European survey. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2001;2(3):159–64. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1080/146608201753275517
- Marin B, Beghi E, Vial C, Bernard E, Lautrette G, Clavelou P, et al.; EURECALS consortium. Evaluation of the application of the European guidelines for the diagnosis and clinical care of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients in six French ALS centres. Eur J Neurol. 2016;23(4):787–95. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1111/ene.12941
- Hiscock A, Barclay S. ‘It’s a hard conversation to have’. Healthcare professionals’ views concerning advance care discussions with young people affected by life-limiting neuromuscular diseases: an interview study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2019;9(1):e9. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2017-001369
- Murray L, Butow PN. Advance care planning in motor neuron disease: A systematic review. Palliat Support Care. 2016;14(4):411–32. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478951515001066
- You JJ, Downar J, Fowler RA, Lamontagne F, Ma IW, Jayaraman D, et al.; Canadian Researchers at the End of Life Network. Barriers to goals of care discussions with seriously ill hospitalized patients and their families: a multicenter survey of clinicians. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(4):549–56. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.7732
- Billings JA, Bernacki R. Strategic targeting of advance care planning interventions: the Goldilocks phenomenon. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(4):620–4. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.14384
- Brizzi K, Paganoni S, Zehm A, De Marchi F, Berry JD. Integration of a palliative care specialist in an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis clinic: Observations from one center. Muscle Nerve. 2019;60(2):137–40. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.26607
- Seeber AA, Pols AJ, Hijdra A, Grupstra HF, Willems DL, de Visser M. Advance care planning in progressive neurological diseases: lessons from ALS. BMC Palliat Care. 2019;18(1):50. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-019-0433-6
- Sukockienė E, Iancu Ferfoglia R, Truffert A, Héritier Barras AC, Genton L, Viatte V, et al. Multidisciplinary care in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a 4-year longitudinal observational study. Swiss Med Wkly. 2020;150:w20258.
- Andersen PM, Abrahams S, Borasio GD, de Carvalho M, Chio A, Van Damme P, et al.; EFNS Task Force on Diagnosis and Management of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. EFNS guidelines on the clinical management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (MALS)--revised report of an EFNS task force. Eur J Neurol. 2012;19(3):360–75. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-1331.2011.03501.x
- Cheng HWB, Chan KY, Chung YKJ, Choi CW, Chan CH, Cheng SC, et al. Supportive & palliative interventions in motor neurone disease: what we know from current literature? Ann Palliat Med. 2018;7(3):320–31. doi:.https://doi.org/10.21037/apm.2017.10.01
- Oliver DJ. Palliative care in motor neurone disease: where are we now? Palliat Care. 2019;12:1178224218813914. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/1178224218813914
- Heritier Barras AC, Adler D, Iancu Ferfoglia R, Ricou B, Gasche Y, Leuchter I, et al., CeSLA group. Is tracheostomy still an option in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis? Reflections of a multidisciplinary work group. Swiss Med Wkly. 2013;143:w13830. doi:.https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2013.13830
- Maessen M, Veldink JH, Onwuteaka-Philipsen BD, Hendricks HT, Schelhaas HJ, Grupstra HF, et al. Euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a prospective study. J Neurol. 2014;261(10):1894–901. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-014-7424-6
- Stutzki R, Weber M, Reiter-Theil S, Simmen U, Borasio GD, Jox RJ. Attitudes towards hastened death in ALS: a prospective study of patients and family caregivers. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2014;15(1-2):68–76. doi:.https://doi.org/10.3109/21678421.2013.837928
- ASSM [Internet]. Berne: Académie Suisse des Sciences Médicales. Attitude face à la fin de vie et à la mort. Directive médico-éthique. Available from: https://www.samw.ch/fr/Publications/Directives.html.
- Ziegler S, Schmid M, Bopp M, Bosshard G, Puhan MA. Continuous Deep Sedation Until Death-a Swiss Death Certificate Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2018;33(7):1052–9. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4401-2
- Cheng HWB, Chan OMI, Chan CHR, Chan WH, Fung KS, Wong KY. End-of-life Characteristics and Palliative Care Provision for Patients With Motor Neuron Disease. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018;35(6):847–51. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909117735832
- Auriemma CL, Chen L, Olorunnisola M, Delman A, Nguyen CA, Cooney E, et al. Public Opinion Regarding Financial Incentives to Engage in Advance Care Planning and Complete Advance Directives. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017;34(8):721–8. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909116652608
- Khandelwal N, Kross EK, Engelberg RA, Coe NB, Long AC, Curtis JR. Estimating the effect of palliative care interventions and advance care planning on ICU utilization: a systematic review. Crit Care Med. 2015;43(5):1102–11. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000000852
- Apostol CC, Waldfogel JM, Pfoh ER, List D, Billing LS, Nesbit SA, et al. Association of goals of care meetings for hospitalized cancer patients at risk for critical care with patient outcomes. Palliat Med. 2015;29(4):386–90. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216314560800
- Confédération Suisse Fedlex. The publication platform for federal law [Internet]. [updated 2020 January 1, cited 2020 April 6]. Swiss Civil Code of 10 December 1907. Available from: https://www.admin.ch/opc/fr/classified-compilation/19070042/index.html