Distribution of low quality filtering facepiece respirators during the COVID-19 pandemic: an independent analysis of the situation in Switzerland
SARS-CoV-2 is a respiratory virus. Transmission occurs by droplets, contact and aerosols. In medical settings, filtering facepiece (FFP) respirators are recommended for use by personnel exposed to aerosol-generating procedures. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for FFP respirators exceeded their supply worldwide and low-quality products appeared on the market, potentially putting healthcare workers at risk.
To raise awareness about variations in quality of imported FFP respirators in Switzerland during the COVID-19 pandemic, to draw attention to the current directives regulating the market launch of FFP respirators in Switzerland, to provide practical support in identifying suspicious products or documents and, finally, to offer strategies aimed at reducing the distribution of low-quality FFP respirators in the future.
Three Swiss laboratories, Spiez Laboratory and Unisanté in partnership with TOXpro SA individually set up testing procedures to evaluate aerosol penetration and fit testing of FFP respirators imported into Switzerland during COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, Spiez Laboratory visually inspected the products, examined the certification documents and crosschecked the product information with international databases.
Between 31 March and 15 June 2020, 151 FFP respirators were analysed. The initial assessment performed before testing allowed a reduction of up to 35% in the number of FFP respirators sent to Spiez Laboratory for evaluation, for which product information found to be faulty. After filtration efficiency evaluation and fit testing, 52% and 60% of all products tested by Spiez Laboratory and Unisanté-TOXpro SA, respectively, did not meet the minimum performance requirements established independently by the three Swiss laboratories.
The demand for FFP respirators exceeded the supply capacity from established suppliers of the Swiss market. New production and import channels emerged, as did the number of poor-quality FFP respirators. FFP respirators remaining in stocks should be checked for conformity before being used, or eliminated and replaced if quality does not meet standards.
- van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, Holbrook MG, Gamble A, Williamson BN, et al. Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(16):1564–7. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
- Leung NH, Chu DK, Shiu EY, Chan K-H, McDevitt JJ, Hau BJ, et al. Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks. Nat Med. 2020;26:676–80. doi:https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-020-0843-2
- Cole EC, Cook CE. Characterization of infectious aerosols in health care facilities: an aid to effective engineering controls and preventive strategies. Am J Infect Control. 1998;26(4):453–64. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(98)70046-X
- Wei J, Li Y. Airborne spread of infectious agents in the indoor environment. Am J Infect Control. 2016;44(9, Suppl):S102–8. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.003
- Nguyen LHDD, Drew DA, Joshi AD, Guo CG, Ma W, Mehta RS, et al. Risk of COVID-19 among frontline healthcare workers and the general community: a prospective cohort study. medRxiv. 2020;2020.04.29.20084111.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [internet]. Understanding the Difference. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/UnderstandingDifference3-508.pdf.
- Ueki H, Furusawa Y, Iwatsuki-Horimoto K, Imai M, Kabata H, Nishimura H, et al. Effectiveness of Face Masks in Preventing Airborne Transmission of SARS-CoV-2. MSphere. 2020;5(5):e00637-20. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1128/mSphere.00637-20
- Chu DK, Akl EA, Duda S, Solo K, Yaacoub S, Schünemann HJ, et al.; COVID-19 Systematic Urgent Review Group Effort (SURGE) study authors. Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020;395(10242):1973–87. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31142-9
- Leung CC, Lam TH, Cheng KK. Mass masking in the COVID-19 epidemic: people need guidance. Lancet. 2020;395(10228):945. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30520-1
- Strasser BJ, Schlich T. A history of the medical mask and the rise of throwaway culture. Lancet. 2020;396(10243):19–20. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31207-1
- The Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development [internet]. The face mask global value chain in the COVID-19 outbreak: Evidence and policy lessons [updated 2020 May 4]. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/the-face-mask-global-value-chain-in-the-COVID-19-outbreak-evidence-and-policy-lessons-a4df866d/
- Presse AF. Russia Bans Export of Masks, Hazmat Suits to Fight Coronavirus. The Moscow Times. 2020 Mar 4. Available from: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/04/russia-bans-export-of-masks-hazmat-suits-to-fight-coronavirus-a69516.
- Gassmann M. Das deutsche Exportverbot ist die Antwort auf Frankreichs Masken-Embargo. Welt. 2020 Mar 4. Available from: https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206324563/Coronavirus-Bundesregierung-verbietet-Export-von-Atemmasken.html.
- Bayer L, Vela JH, Tamma P. EU moves to limit exports of medical equipment outside the bloc [cited 2020 Mar 15]. Available from: https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-eu-limit-exports-medical-equipment/.
- Europol [internet]. Corona crimes: Multi-million face mask scam foiled by police across Europe [cited 2020 Apr 14]. Available from: https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/corona-crimes-multi-million-face-mask-scam-foiled-police-across-europe.
- British Occupational Hygiene Society [internet]. Spotting a Fake Respirator [cited 2020 Jul 14]. Available from: https://www.bohs.org/covid-19-hub/.
- Center for disease control and prevention [internet]. Factors to consider when purchasing respirators from another country [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tVnjrmAmc.
- European Safety Federation [internet]. COVID 19 suspicious certificates for PPE [cited 2020 may 26]. Available from: https://www.eu-esf.org/covid-19/4513-covid-19-suspicious-certificates-for-ppe.
- Su A. Faulty masks. Flawed tests. China’s quality control problem in leading global COVID-19 fight. Los Angeles Times. [cited 2020 Apr 10] Available from: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-10/china-beijing-supply-world-coronavirus-fight-quality-control
- Dethurens C, Zumbach C. L’efficacité des masques chinois remise en question. 24 heures. [cited 2020 May 8] Available from: https://www.24heures.ch/suisse/efficacite-masques-chinois-remise-question/story/29236463
- Bradsher K. China Delays Mask and Ventilator Exports After Quality Complaints. The New York Times [cited 2020 Apr 11] Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/business/china-mask-exports-coronavirus.html.
- European Safety federation [internet]. RAPEX 2020 Particle filter mask KN 95. Available from: https://eu-esf.org/personal-protective-equipment/146-non-compliant/rapex-respiratory-protection.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association [internet]. American National Standard-Respirator Fit Testing Methods. 2010. Available from: https://hse.nioc.ir/portal/file/?312746/ansi-aiha-z88.10-2010-respirator-fit-testing-methods.pdf
- The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory [internet] NPPTL Respirator Assessments to Support the COVID-19 Response [cited 2020 Jun 1]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respirators/testing/NonNIOSHresults.html.
- The Swiss Federal Council [internet]. Ordinance on Measures to Combat the Coronavirus (COVID-19) [updated 2020 Mar 13]. Available from: https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20200744/index.html.
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs [internet]. FAQ Atemschutzmaske und andere PSA [updated 2020 Jun 16]. Available from: https://www.seco.admin.ch/seco/de/home/Arbeit/Arbeitsbedingungen/Produktsicherheit/produktesicherheit_faq_covid19.html.
- Deutsche Zentralstelle der Länder für Sicherheitstechnik [internet]. Prüfgrundsatz für Corona SARS-Cov-2 Pandemie Atemschutzmasken Rev.2 - 02.06.2020. 2020 June 2, 2020. [cited 2020 Jun 02] Available from: https://www.zls-muenchen.de/Corona/Atemschutzmasken/200602_Pruefgrundsatz%20Corona%20SARS-Cov-2%20Pandemie%20Atemschutzmasken%20Rev.%202.pdf.
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs [internet]. FAQ Atemschutzmaske und andere PSA [updated 2020 Sep 24]. Available from: https://www.seco.admin.ch/seco/de/home/Arbeit/Arbeitsbedingungen/Produktsicherheit/produktesicherheit_faq_covid19.html
- European Commission [internet]. CE marking. Available from: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking_en.
- European Parliament [internet]. China Export and the CE marking [cited 2017 Mar 16]. Available from: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/E-8-2017-001822_EN.html.
- European Commission [internet]. Notified Body NANDO. Available from: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/nando/index.cfm?fuseaction=directive.notifiedbody&dir_id=155501.
- China National Accreditation Service for Conformtiy Assessment [internet]. Laboratories Accredited by CNAS for Testing of Masks,Gloves,Medical Protective Clothing and Other Personal Protective Equipment [cited 2020 Apr 27]. Available from: https://www.cnas.org.cn/english/photonews/06/903064.shtml.
- US Food and Drug Administration. [internet]. Appendix A: Authorized Respirators [cited 2020 May 28]. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/media/136663/download.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention [internet]. Filtering out Confusion: Frequently Asked Questions about Respiratory Protection, User Seal Check [cited 2018 Apr]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2018-130/pdfs/2018-130.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2018130.
- Sun C, Thelen C, Sancho Sanz I, Wittmann A. Evaluation of a New Workplace Protection Factor-Measuring Method for Filtering Facepiece Respirator. Saf Health Work. 2020;11(1):61–70. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2019.11.001
- The National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory [internet]. NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators [cited 2020 Apr 9]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/default.html.
- FLAWA [internet]. CPA respiratory protection mask. Available from: https://flawaconsumer-shop.ch/fr/masque-respiratoire/.