Safety and efficacy of outpatient endovenous laser ablation in patients 75 years and older: a propensity score-matched analysis
AIMS OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of endovenous laser ablation (EVLA) in patients 75 years and older in an outpatient setting.
In this multicentre retrospective study, we collected the demographic, procedural and outcome data of all consecutive patients with varicose veins class C2 to C6 undergoing EVLA of truncal and accessory saphenous veins. The primary efficacy endpoint was complete ablation of the treated veins diagnosed with duplex ultrasound at 4-week follow up. The primary safety endpoint was endothermal heat-induced thrombosis (EHIT) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) at 4-week follow up as diagnosed by duplex ultrasound. A secondary endpoint was minor or major bleeding.
Between February 2009 and December 2015, a total of 829 patients were treated with EVLA of the truncal and accessory saphenous veins. Among them, 747 were <75 years old (group 1) and 82 were ≥75 years old (group 2). The primary efficacy outcome was reached in 739 patients (98.9%) in group 1 and in 80 patients (97.6%) in group 2 (odd ratio [OR] 0.43, confidence interval [CI] 0.09–2.07; p = 0.295). The number of patients with EHIT type 2 and DVT were 4 (0.5%) and 2 (0.3%), respectively, in group 1, and 2 (2.4%) and 1 (1.2%), respectively, in group 2 (OR 4.64, CI 0.83–25.75; p = 0.079 and OR 4.59, CI 0.41–51.27; p = 0.215, respectively). Minor bleeding events occurred in 36 patients (4.8%) in group 1 and 7 patients (8.9%) in group 2 (OR 1.84, CI 0.79-4.29; p = 0.155). No major bleeding occurred in either group. Propensity score-matched analysis revealed no significant difference in efficacy and safety outcomes.
EVLA performed as an outpatient procedure seems to be effective and safe in the elderly population as compared to the younger age group.
- Evans CJ, Fowkes FG, Ruckley CV, Lee AJ. Prevalence of varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency in men and women in the general population: Edinburgh Vein Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 1999;53(3):149–53. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.53.3.149
- Rabe E, Pannier-Fischer F, Bromen K, Schuldt K, Stang A, Pncar C, et al. Bonner Venenstudie der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Phlebologie [Bonn Vein Study by the German Society of Phlebology]. Phlebologie. 2003;32(1):1–14. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1617353
- Durkin MT, Turton EP, Scott DJ, Berridge DC. A prospective randomised trial of PIN versus conventional stripping in varicose vein surgery. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1999;81(3):171–4.
- MacKenzie RK, Allan PL, Ruckley CV, Bradbury AW. The effect of long saphenous vein stripping on deep venous reflux. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2004;28(1):104–7. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2004.03.009
- Durkin MT, Turton EP, Wijesinghe LD, Scott DJ, Berridge DC. Long saphenous vein stripping and quality of life--a randomised trial. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2001;21(6):545–9. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1053/ejvs.2001.1364
- Puggioni A, Kalra M, Carmo M, Mozes G, Gloviczki P. Endovenous laser therapy and radiofrequency ablation of the great saphenous vein: analysis of early efficacy and complications. J Vasc Surg. 2005;42(3):488–93. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2005.05.014
- Whiteley MS, Shiangoli I, Dos Santos SJ, Dabbs EB, Fernandez-Hart TJ, Holdstock JM. Fifteen Year Results of Radiofrequency Ablation, Using VNUS Closure, for the Abolition of Truncal Venous Reflux in Patients with Varicose Veins. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2017;54(3):357–62. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2017.06.001
- Morrison N. Saphenous ablation: what are the choices, laser or RF energy. Semin Vasc Surg. 2005;18(1):15–8. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semvascsurg.2004.12.006
- van den Bos R, Arends L, Kockaert M, Neumann M, Nijsten T. Endovenous therapies of lower extremity varicosities: a meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49(1):230–9. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2008.06.030
- Siribumrungwong B, Noorit P, Wilasrusmee C, Attia J, Thakkinstian A. A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials comparing endovenous ablation and surgical intervention in patients with varicose vein. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012;44(2):214–23. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2012.05.017
- Agus GB, Mancini S, Magi G ; IEWG. The first 1000 cases of Italian Endovenous-laser Working Group (IEWG). Rationale, and long-term outcomes for the 1999-2003 period. Int Angiol. 2006;25(2):209–15.
- Keo HH, Diehm N, Enzler M, Holz D. Swiss cost analysis of procedures for the treatment of varicose veins. Cardiovasc Med. 2017;20(11):269–73. doi:.https://doi.org/10.4414/cvm.2017.00522
- Porter JM, Moneta GL ; International Consensus Committee on Chronic Venous Disease. Reporting standards in venous disease: an update. J Vasc Surg. 1995;21(4):635–45. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0741-5214(95)70195-8
- von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, Pocock SJ, Gøtzsche PC, Vandenbroucke JP ; STROBE Initiative. The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. J Clin Epidemiol. 2008;61(4):344–9. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2007.11.008
- Labropoulos N, Tiongson J, Pryor L, Tassiopoulos AK, Kang SS, Ashraf Mansour M, et al. Definition of venous reflux in lower-extremity veins. J Vasc Surg. 2003;38(4):793–8. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0741-5214(03)00424-5
- Kabnick L. Ombrellino M Agis Hea. Endovenous heat induced thrombus (EHIT) at the superficial-deep venous junction: a new post-treatment clinical entity, classification and potential treatment strategies. 18th Annual Meeting of the American Venous Forum, Miami, FL, USA. February 2006.
- Kaatz S, Ahmad D, Spyropoulos AC, Schulman S ; Subcommittee on Control of Anticoagulation. Definition of clinically relevant non-major bleeding in studies of anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation and venous thromboembolic disease in non-surgical patients: communication from the SSC of the ISTH. J Thromb Haemost. 2015;13(11):2119–26. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.13140
- Hamel-Desnos C, Desnos P, Allaert FA, Kern P ; “Thermal group” for the French Society of Phlebology and the Swiss Society of Phlebology. Thermal ablation of saphenous veins is feasible and safe in patients older than 75 years: A prospective study (EVTA study). Phlebology. 2015;30(8):525–32. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/0268355514540882
- Knipp BS, Blackburn SA, Bloom JR, Fellows E, Laforge W, Pfeifer JR, et al.; Michigan Venous Study Group. Endovenous laser ablation: venous outcomes and thrombotic complications are independent of the presence of deep venous insufficiency. J Vasc Surg. 2008;48(6):1538–45. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2008.07.052
- Spreafico G, Kabnick L, Berland TL, Cayne NS, Maldonado TS, Jacobowitz GS, et al. Laser saphenous ablations in more than 1,000 limbs with long-term duplex examination follow-up. Ann Vasc Surg. 2011;25(1):71–8. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2010.09.005
- Brittenden J, Cotton SC, Elders A, Ramsay CR, Norrie J, Burr J, et al. A randomized trial comparing treatments for varicose veins. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(13):1218–27. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1400781
- Rhee SJ, Cantelmo NL, Conrad MF, Stoughton J. Factors influencing the incidence of endovenous heat-induced thrombosis (EHIT). Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2013;47(3):207–12. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1177/1538574413478494
- Manfrini S, Gasbarro V, Danielsson G, Norgren L, Chandler JG, Lennox AF, et al.; Endovenous Reflux Management Study Group. Endovenous management of saphenous vein reflux. J Vasc Surg. 2000;32(2):330–42. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1067/mva.2000.107573
- Merchant R, Jr, Kistner RL, Kabnick LS. Is there an increased risk for DVT with the VNUS closure procedure? J Vasc Surg. 2003;38(3):628. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0741-5214(03)00322-7
- Hingorani AP, Ascher E, Markevich N, Schutzer RW, Kallakuri S, Hou A, et al. Deep venous thrombosis after radiofrequency ablation of greater saphenous vein: a word of caution. J Vasc Surg. 2004;40(3):500–4. doi:.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2004.04.032