Vol. 143 No. 1314 (2013)
Suicides in the Canton of Lucerne over 5 years: subjects with and without psychiatric history and diagnosis
- Andreas Frei
- Toralf Bucher
- Marc Walter
- Vladeta Ajdacic-Gross
BACKGROUND: The majority of suicides had never had contact with the mental health care system. The aim of this study is to investigate the specific characteristics of this particular group.
METHODS: Coroners’ files were examined for all 256 suicide victims in the Canton of Lucerne between 2002 and 2006, together with the data from the files of the public psychiatric institutions for individuals who had been registered as patients. The sociodemographic, suicidological and clinical variables of suicides who had been psychiatric patients were compared with those of other suicides. Within the latter group, suicides with remarks on their mental state in the coroner’s files (“police diagnosis”) were compared with suicides without such remarks.
RESULTS: Assisted suicides (24/256 [9.4%]) were excluded from the comparative analysis. 151 (65.1%) of the remaining 232 suicides had never been registered by a public psychiatric service; 40 (26.5%) of these had a “police diagnosis”. In the regression analysis intoxication as a suicide method, announcement of suicide and impaired health characterised suicides with an established psychiatric diagnosis, whereas suicides without a psychiatric diagnosis were more likely to be retired. Among the latter, those without a “police diagnosis” were more likely to have left a suicide note.
CONCLUSIONS: Unexpectedly, the only difference between suicide methods with and without former contact with the mental health system was poisoning. Within the latter group, the subgroup without “police diagnosis” left more suicide notes. Further qualitative analyses of suicide notes might be useful in improving understanding of the motives of suicides without a manifest psychiatric history.
- Harris EC, Barraclough B. Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders. A meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 1996;205–28.
- Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A. Suicide and psychiatric diagnosis: A worldwide perspective. World Psychiatry. 2002;1:181–5.
- Arsenault-Lapierre G, Kim C, Turecki K. Psychiatric diagnoses in 3275 Suicides: a meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2004:37/4.
- Cavanagh JTO, Carson AJ, Sharpe M, Lawrie SM. Psychological autopsy studies of suicide: a systematic review. Psychological Medicine. 33; 395–405.
- Hjelmeland H, Dieserud G, Dyregrov K, Knizek BL, Leenaars AA. Psychological autopsy studies as diagnostic tools: Are they methodologically flawed? Death Studies. 2012;36:605–26.
- Pouliot L, de Leo D. Critical issues in psychological autopsy studies. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviour. 2006;36:491–510.
- Van Praag HM. A stubborn behaviour: the failure of antidepressants to reduce suicide rates. World Biol Psychiatry. 2003;4:181–91.
- De Leo D. Suicide prevention is far more than a psychiatric business. World Psychiatry. 2004;3(3):155–6.
- Junker Ch. Assisted suicide and suicide in Switzerland. Federal Statistical Office 2012.
- Frei A, Schenker TA, Finzen A, Kräuchi, K, Dittmann V, Hoffmann-Richter U. Assisted suicide as conducted by a ‘Right-to-Die’-society in Switzerland: A descriptive analysis of 43 consecutive cases. Swiss Med Wkly. 2001;131:375–80.
- Owens C, Booth N, Briscoe M, Lawrecne, C, Lloyd K. Suicide Outside the Care of Mental Health Services. A Case-Controlled Psychological Autopsy Study. Crisis. 2003;24/3:113–21.
- Hepp U, Ring M, Frei A, Rössler W, Schnyder U, Ajdacic-Gross V. Suicide trends diverge by method: Swiss suicide rates 1969–2005. European Psychiatry. 2010;25:129–35.
- Zahl PH, De Leo D, I Ekeberg Ø, Hjelmeland H, Dieserud G. The relationship between sales of SSRI, TCA and suicide rates in the Nordic countries- Available from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/10/62
- Qin Ping, Nordentoft M, Høyer H, Agerbo E, Laursen TM, Mortensen PB. Trends in suicide risk associated with hospitalized psychiatric illness: A case-control study based on Danish longitudinal register. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(12):1936–41.
- De Leo D. Struggling Against Suicide. The need for an integrative approach. Crisis. 2002;23(1):23–31.
- Klein SD, Bischoff Ch, Schweitzer W. Suicides in the canton of Zurich(Switzerland). Swiss Med Wkly. 2010;140:w13102
- European Communities 2004. The State of Mental Health in the European Union. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/archive/ph_projects/2001/monitoring/fp_monitoring_2001 frep_06
- Camenzind P, Schuler D, Sturny I, Roth M. Psychiatrische und psychotherapeutische Versorgung in ambulanten Praxen in der Schweiz. Baseline 2006“ Schweizerisches Gesundheitsobservatorium, Obsan: 10.11.2008.
- Frei A, Han A, Weiss MG, Dittmann V, Ajdacic-Gross V. Use of army weapons and private firearms for suicide and homicide in the Region of Basle. Crisis. 2006;27:140–6.
- Mund T, Bär W: Rechtmedizinische Aspekte beim plötzlichen Todesfall. Schweiz Med Forum. 2005;5:129–35.
- Haenel T, Elsässer PN: Double suicide and homicide-suicide in Switzerland. Crisis. 2000;21:122–5.
- Reisch T, Schuster U, Michel K. Suicide by jumping and Accessibility of Bridges: Results from a National Survey in Switzerland. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007;37(6):681–7.
- Phillips DP. The influence of suggestion on suicide: substantive and theroretical implications of the Werther effect. Am Sociol Rev. 1974;39/3:340–54.
- Marzuk PM, Tardiff K, Hirsch CS. The epidemiology of murder-suicide. JAMA. 1992;267:3179–83.
- Fishbain D, Aldrich T. Suicide Pacts: International Comparisons. J Clin Psychiatry. 1985;46:154–7.
- Steer RA, Brown GK, Beck At. When does the daily hazard rate for committing suicide stabilize in Psychiatric outpatients? Psychological Reports. 2006;99:462–4.
- Laberke PJ, Bartsch Ch. Trends in methadone-related deaths in Zurich. Int J Legal Med. 2010;124:381–5.
- Meehan J, Kapur, Hunt IM, Turnbull B, Robinson J, Bickley H et al. Suicide in mental health in-patients and within 3 months of discharge. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;188:129–34.
- Hoffmann-Richter U, Känzig S, Frei A, Finzen A. Suizid nach der Entlassung aus der psychiatrischen Klinik. Psychiatr Prax; 29/1:22-4.
- Leenaars AA. Can a theory of suicide predict all “suicides” in the elderly? Crisis. 2003;24(1):7–16.
- Cantor CH, Hill MA, McLachlan EK. Suicide and related behaviour from river bridges. A clinical perspective. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;155:829–35.
- Reisch T, Schuster U, Michel K. Suicide by jumping from bridges and other heights: Social and diagnostic factors. Psychiatric Res. 2008;161:97–104.
- Colton CW, Manderscheid RW. Congruencies in Increased Mortality Rates, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Causes of Death Among Public Mental Health Clients in Eight States. Prev Chronic Dis. 2006;3(2):A42. Available from: http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc 1563985 http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc 1563985
- De Leo D. Reasons for living and the paradox of suicide in old age. Crisis. 1998;19(4): 147–51.
- Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A, de Leo D, Wassermann D. Psychiatric Diagnosis and Suicide: Revisiting the Evidence. Crisis. 2006;25(4):147–55.
- Hoffman-Richter U, Frei A, Finzen A. Suizidmotive aus der Sicht der Ermittlungsbehörde eines Schweizer Kantons. Suizidprophylaxe. 1997;4:170–2.
- O’Connor RC, Sheehy NP, O’Connor DB. A thematic analysis of suicide notes. Crisis. 1999;20(3):106–14.
- Foster T. Suicide note themes and suicide prevention. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2003;33(4):323–31.
- Shneidmann ES. The psychological autopsy. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1981;11(4):325–40.
- Eisenwort B, Berzlanovich A, Heinrich M, Schuster A, Chocholous P, Lindorfer S, Eisenwort G. Suizidologie: Abschiedsbriefe und ihre Themen. Nervenarzt. 2007;78(6):672. 674–8.
- Michel K. Suizid und die Waffengesetzgebung in der Schweiz. Oder: Die aufrechten Söhne Tells. Suizidprophylaxe. 2011;38/2:76–8.
- Gunnell D, Bennewith O, Hawton K, Simkin S, Kapur N. The epidemiology of suicide by hanging: a systematic review. Int J Epidemiology. 2005;34:433–42.
- Kentikelenis A, Karanikolos M, Papanicolas, Basu Sanjay, McKee M, Stuckler D. Health effects of financial crisis: omens of a Greek tragedy. Lancet. 2011;378:1456–7.
- Leenaars AA. Suicide: A multidimensional malaise. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1996;26(3):221–36.